top of page

Residential Conveyancing

If you are selling a property you will need a conveyancing lawyer to handle the legal and administrative work. At Spencer Lockwood Solicitors we have a team of trusted experts offering conveyancing for property sellers in London and the surrounding areas. We have experience in all property types in all areas of London from multi-million pound houses to one-bedroom flats. With our knowledge of the property market you can be reassured that we will identify any potential issues and deal with them swiftly.

If you’re selling a specialist property, such as a Grade II listed building or a penthouse apartment, our legal team will help you from offer accepted, to completion. 

What sets us apart?



You won't find a better service at a better price. We make sure our pricing is clear so that you can see what fees apply to the relevant areas.



The majority of the process can be done from home, online or via phone post and email. You will receive email updates on the crucial movements on your case.



The most common complaint is due to poor communication, that's why we make sure to be on hand to answer your queries. You can contact us by phone or email, or arrange an appointment, whichever you prefer.


How does the conveyancing process work?

Our interactive sale flowchart. Note how few steps you will be involved in. We do a lot of work in the background and you will see what we need from you as we progress.

With Spencer Lockwood Solicitors behind your sale, all of the legal and administrative tasks will be efficiently and effectively dealt with so you don’t have to worry. We’ll keep you informed from the word go. Here’s how we work to make your life easier:

  1. We’ll talk through all of your priorities and provide you with a competitive quote.

  2. Once you’ve accepted our quote, one of our conveyancing lawyers will look over your case. They’ll send you all of the necessary paperwork straight away and let you know what information you need to provide.

  3. When you’ve returned the paperwork signed and completed with certified copies of your ID, along with proof of address, and any other documentation (such as planning permissions, installation certificates, covenant consents etc.), your lawyer will draft the initial sale contract and send it to the buyer.

  4. We will keep you informed of any queries raised by the buyer and respond appropriately. We’ll keep you in the loop as much or as little as you would like. Either way, we guarantee we’ll progress things as smoothly as possible.

  5. Once queries have been resolved, and all information required has been confirmed, your terms will be agreed and we’ll set the date for completion.

  6. Then it’s simply a case of both sides exchanging and signing contracts (if a buyer pulls out at this point, they usually lose their deposit).

  7. On the day of completion funds are exchanged. Legal completion takes place once the sale money from the buyer has been received into your solicitor’s account. Any payments to banks or agents are then arranged by us, and you’ll be sent the balance, usually by bank transfer.

Living Room

What documents might be requested from me?

The documents that you will need are ultimately up to the person buying your property. It is a good idea to prepare documentation that you think a buyer might want to see during the process. For example:

  • Permissions and guarantees for any physical works done to the property.

  • Copies of important correspondence received from the council (or freeholder for a leasehold property).

  • Any original documents which were given to you when you bought the property.

What about my mortgage?

We handle the entirety of the mortgage redemption process. You just need to provide us with the account number and lender, or a copy of your most recent mortgage statement.

Porting your mortgage to your new home? We will deal with that too ensuring that you don't pay any additional charges or fees.

Do I need to pay for a Management Pack?

If you are selling a leasehold property you will need to provide the buyer a lot of information about the property, including the financial position and the legal side of transferring the ownership. Your freeholder or managing agent will produce this standard information in a pack, known as the Management Pack.

Unfortunately there will be a charge for producing this information, usually in the region of £200-£400. Should you be part of a right to manage or you collectively own the freehold you should speak to the secretary of the company to check if there is a fee and what this might involve.

What if I'm also buying?

We’ll ideally carry out the conveyancing for both your property purchase and your sale, but we may advise that choosing two solicitors with different fields of expertise could be more advantageous for your situation. We’ll always discuss the options with you and agree the best solution to suit your priorities.

bottom of page